Assistant Store Manager
- The Assistant Store Manager assists the Store Manager in the daily operations of assigned retail store, ensuring consistency, compliance, and achievement of sales and productivity goals.
- An Assistant Store Manager is responsible for understanding and modeling key performance behaviors by providing effective direction and leadership to employees and offering outstanding service to all donors and customers. He/she reports to Store Manager.
Exemplary Duties / Responsibilities:
- The Assistant Store Manager (ASM) assists Manager in daily store operations, including sales leadership, merchandising, production, customer service, and training. Assumes management responsibilities as needed and/or in Store Manager absence.
- The ASM is responsible for ensuring the daily sales and operational success of assigned store in partnership with the Store Manager.
- Must ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent service leadership and employee training.
- Accountable for meeting and/or exceeding sales goals by training, motivating, mentoring and providing feedback to sales staff.
- Makes sure the deposit is ready in a timely manner to be picked up by the armored car services in Manager’s absence.
- Operates cash register and trains staff on applicable POS functions.
- Assists Store Manager on cross training all store personnel, including new employees in all areas of store operations.
- Reports safety hazards and all accidents to Asset Protection
- Needs to understand all facets of store organization and safety to eliminate safety hazards.
- Accurately completes daily sales paperwork and identifies discrepancies.
- Provides proactive customer service in a positive, professional, and courteous manner.
- The Assistant Store Manager must comply with all Sales Division procedures and agency policies and procedures.
- Must be courteous when answering phones, making announcements, and dealing with customers and staff.
- Attend and actively participate in and/or facilitate meetings as assigned.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma/GED or its equivalent.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Minimum threeyears experience in retail sales, preferably in specialty retail, thrift or consignment.
- 2+ years’ Supervisory experience in retail, thrift or consignment.
- Positive work history.
- Ability to read and write, understand basic math. Able to create and analyze reports, spread sheets and sales statistics
- Ability to understand complex and simple instructions.
- Ability to handle customers effectively.
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to special needs.
- Proficient user of MS Office (MS Excel in particular) and basic computer functions
- Knowledge of retail practices, cash handling procedures, visual merchandising and loss prevention.
Supervision and leadership team building and training.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills. Bilingual a plus.
- Outstanding problem solving and multi-tasking skills
- Highly organized
- Cooperation with Manager, store personnel, and Division Directors.
- Ability to lead and supervise personnel.
- Ability to work with the public; strong interpersonal and mediation skills required.
- Use of cash register, calculator/10 key, faxes, and phones.
- Good record keeping practices.
- Effective production methods.
- Ability to accurately complete sales reports.
- Able to lift, carry, push, and pull at least 50 lbs.
Core Competencies I:
To perform the job successfully an individual should demonstrate the following competencies;
- Confidentiality – Understands and adheres to high level confidentially in all work related information discussions and information sharing in all meetings of the board, and by upper level staff.
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to Goodwill core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in a group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics, people and/or situations
- Task Management –Communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills – Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits employee feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others ideas and tries new things
- Verbal Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills effectively; participates in meetings.
- Teamwork –Exhibits objectivity and openness to others views; welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; promotes inclusiveness, puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Diversity –Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment. Must be able to work with diverse cultures, as well as those with barriers to employment, inclusive of disabled populations.
- Inclusion & Equality – Is inclusive, shows respect and sensitivity for all differences; gender, sexual orientation, and culture. Promotes equality in all aspects of work-life at Goodwill SOLAC
Valid CA Driver’s License; clean and current DMV printout, and have car insurance. Must provide own transportation to use on company business.
- Promotes and demonstrates leadership, problem solving, cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to work with a minimum amount of supervision.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standard of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
Goodwill is a culturally diverse and inclusive organization.